I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Wednesday, 9 August 2017



Very little stitching was going on here, for more then one reason.
For the second week the weather is not "summer weather"; not only wet, but cold too. Some nights I wish we had our winter quilt back on our bed.
Our garden is very lush, but we have not been able to spend much time out there 😒.
And then there are other things which get in the way;
a routine breast cancer screening, a two weeks wait for the result, only to get a letter asking to come for a follow up screening. Oh dear, not again....
Another week gone before an appointment at the hospital - it is all that waiting .... I am sure that some of you know exactly what I am talking about. Another x-ray and ultrasound (thankfully no biopsy this time) - and given "all clear", hurrah!




I find it difficult to be "creative" when I am worried; I tried to read, but I found myself just browsing through my bookshelves. But the hands wanted to do SOMETHING.
An idea for a wall hanging in one the my books - the central panel is made out of green hexies; 
EPP - I can do that without too much thinking.


I was determined to use only my stash for this project, but when I finished the central panel, I realized that I haven't got a suitable large piece of fabric for the background.
Oh no, I had to go shopping! 😉
Luckily the wonderful one stop Midsomer Quilting shop is little under 10 miles from me, and always such pleasure to visit. Not only they pride themselves on having more then 3,000 fabrics in stock, but you can also help yourself to coffee (or tea, or whatever) and sit down and have a chat with fellow quilters (if you find the time, with all those fabrics around).
They are working on their on-line shopping website at the moment, 
but they promise to stay a friendly shop as well.

Well, it is never just that one piece of fabric, is it?😊 
But the rest should tie in as well.



I also made a nice cake for my DD's birthday recently, 
a new recipe for me, Persian Love Cake, from Yasmin Khan's "The Saffron Tales".




It is made with lots of almonds, cardamom, lemon juice and rose water. 
It is beautifully moist and keeps well (I made it a couple days ahead), decorated with lemon icing, pistachio nuts and dry rose petals (from our roses).
I will definitively make it again!



In between the rain we managed to finish the new raised flower bed.


Before it got too wet, I harvested some lavender from our front garden, and it is now drying in the summer house.
This lot should keep me in lavender bags this winter 😊.


 Just as well, because the rest of the lavender is now too wet to cut and has gone over.

I think that's all for now; 
I managed to catch up here and I will come to have a look what you are up to!


©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2017


9 comments:

margaret said...

so much for a nice august! but today the weather is meant to improve.
Such good news re breast scan but such a worrying time waiting for the follow up.
Your local shop sounds a lovely place to visit and love the way you can spend time chatting over a tea or coffee with other stitchers.
Hexies looking good, I am taking some with me to FOQ to do in the hotel in the evening and maybe on the coach on the way down

margaret said...

whoops clicked wrong button, cake looks so tasty and love the added rose petals

Catherine said...

Good morning Radka. At least the sun is shining today! I'm so glad your second appointment turned out fine. The birthday cake looks scrumptious. I'll be visiting Midsomer Quilting later in the year for a class on Victorian crazy quilting. I love going there although it is a bit of a trek from here in the Midlands.i will be saving up to buy a few bits and bobs there too.

Gudrun said...

I know exactly what you write about.Happy you had the great luck to be okey!!
Love the photos from your garden and sewing. Good luck!!
Greetings from Öland where the weather is FINE!!!

Lin said...

Such a shame that the weather has turned just as the holidays start. It's cool and damp here too. So glad that all worked out well for you with your screening. Always nice to see some pretty hexies and shopping for new fabric is great therapy! xx

Juliettecherry said...

OOh! sympathy for you about the waiting time, so hard to get it all out of your mind. Very pleased it turned out OK.

I love a bit of old English patchwork, have been thinking about doing some myself, even though patchwork is not my main interest. But I like to hand sew, so maybe ...

Cake looks delicious, I'm sure it was well enjoyed.

Catherine said...

I'm so glad your worries are over - what a stressful time. Your makes (fabric and cake) look amazing, and I always love seeing your garden!

Helen said...

Wonderful news. The cake looks so yummy, love seeing your garden and cuttings.

KC'sCourt! said...

Love your hexagon patchwork and the cake looks rather yummy

Julie xxxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017